Oh hi Traveler
I just got back from the most incredible two days in LA at an exclusive new creator event called Created in LA, presented by none other than Disney.
On the Walt Disney Studio lot, I got to sit in on masterminds and interview sessions with some of the biggest creators in the industry, where they spilled some of their secrets to growth.
Now, I'm not just telling you this to humblebrag.
I'm giving you the context because I took a lot of notes, and of course I wanted to share some of them here with you.
The takeaways, and how to apply them to your own social media channels. (there's a mix here that works for YouTube, Instagram, or TikTok.)
First, the #1 most important thing for all short form content, and I’d say the #2 most important on longform. Hooks.
Adrian Per (1.3M) said it straight: when a video flops, it usually isn't because the video is bad. It's because the hook isn't interesting. Your content can be genuinely great and nobody ever finds out, because they swiped in two seconds.
Different hooks work for different people depending on what kind of day they had. Same video, different mood, completely different reaction.
So stop betting the whole thing on one hook. Write five hooks for every one script.
He calls it the hook multiplier. One video quietly becomes five, for about 10% more effort. And you don't refilm anything. You edit the video once, duplicate the project, and just swap the hook. He then tests these using Instagram trial reels. You then have 5 chances at succeeding with the same piece of content.
If you want a cheat sheet, here are the five hook angles Adrian runs on a single script:
- Direct: "Today I'll show you how to..."
- Problem solver: "This is for anyone who thinks they can't..."
- Humor: "My budget was three dollars and a dream, so here's how I..."
- Data driven: "If you feel stuck doing X, here's how to still make it work."
- Authority: "As someone who does this for a living, here's how I..."
This is definitely something I will be apply to my Instagram account strategy going forward.
Jenny Hoyos (12.4M) then expanded on the how. A few things:
1: Open the curiosity gap fast. That's the space between what your audience already knows and what they want to know, and your job is to crack it open in the first line. Try using a question instead of a statement.
2: Know your audience, or as she put it, know what bait actually works for them.
And to go viral?
3: Pair the familiar plus unfamiliar. Take a format people already recognize (a tutorial, a fitness video, a cooking video) and add a twist they don't see coming.
Next up, building out a community.
Jordan Matter (38.1M) talked about how they purposely plan their content using a 75/25 rule. Roughly 75% is "viral" content (the toys, the pranks, the competitions) and 25% is "vulnerable" content (nostalgic, emotional, personal).
And they plan this already know that vulnerable 25% is going to land as a "10 of 10" on YouTube, which, if you're not familiar, is basically the worst-performing slot. So why do they do it?
Because that vulnerable 25% is the stuff that actually builds the relationship with your audience. The videos people remember. It deepens the bond and creates the connection that turns viewers into true fans who come back, watch more, and eventually buy your products and your brand.
His exact words: views are not the same as connection.
And what actually helps you build subscribers is connecting.
Okay, that's enough for this email. Part two comes tomorrow, and it includes a few of my favourite takeaways.
Talk soon, 💛
Nadine
P.S. Want to see what the event was actually like? I posted a reel over on Instagram.
No comments:
Post a Comment