Traveling

Saturday, December 22, 2018

A Holiday Message

Greetings!

I had hoped that when you received your email reminder early Saturday morning and clicked the link to the issue, you were taken right there — and not to an ERROR message or spinning wheel. That is what's happened for two weeks in a row for many readers. Then today, the brand-new server we have just sprung for started acting up out of nowhere. The digital gurus are working on it, but to be honest, I’m a little gun-shy at this point.

So instead of a great newsletter, you get a not-so-great email from me. It's been a lousy December, cyber-wise. My staff and I have answered hundreds of emails from readers asking, either nicely or not so nicely, "Where is my newsletter?”

Some readers received a message last week when trying to read the newsletter that said our website was unsafe, which prompted more emails. Most were polite asking, “Say it ain’t so!” Others not so much, "Can't you get things right, you buncha clowns?"
Well, I can’t blame some of you for being frustrated. I’m right there with you. By the way, the website was always safe; no worries there. Just look for a green padlock right by the www.rvtravel.com. That’s how you know a website is who they say they are.
Back to what happened. The last two Saturdays, around 7 a.m. Pacific, our server (and a whole bunch of others) got unsuccessfully attacked by slimy, nocturnal people in cyber cafes in far off lands (or more likely bots, who are not people at all). It happens often, not just to us but to all large websites. With a spike in traffic from our growing readership at exactly the same time, the servers got overloaded. We just were not prepared for the combined traffic of the attack plus everyone who wanted to follow the links to the newsletter. We’ve decided enough is enough. We’re signing with a new company, but it’s going to take yet another week to get all of it in place, tested and ready to go. 
Sometimes I love the Internet, but sometimes I hate it. At the latter times, I want to grab my computer, toss it out the window and watch it splatter to pieces. Then Gail and I would get in our motorhome. We’d head down some remote dirt road in a remote pine forest by a trout stream. I’d take my fishing pole and a good frying pan, and we’d pretend the outside world didn’t exist. And then there are the times when the website works and the internet lets me connect to all you great folks.
With that, my staff and I wish you a Merry Christmas or a wonderful celebration of the holiday you observe. Enjoy your family and friends. Don't drink and drive. And count your blessings that you live in a free society at such a fascinating time in human history. We’ll be back next week, and we have lots in store for the New Year!

Chuck Woodbury, Editor
Camp free at farms and wineries
LESS THAN TWO WEEKS LEFT!
Even though there's no newsletter this week, we wanted to make sure that you didn't miss out on an opportunity to purchase a new membership at Harvest Host before the price goes up Jan. 1 from $49 to $79. As a Harvest Hosts member you can stay overnight free at more than 600 wineries, farms, breweries and NOW 329 golf courses! Learn more here.
Harvest Host - Camp free at Wineries!
RV Travel | www.rvtravel.com

No comments:

Post a Comment